Monday, September 3, 2012

Comm 203 - Reading 1 - TPP


After reading the assigned content I brushed it all off thinking that there was no way that anything like this would ever affect media and the internet here in America, but then today I read this rant by Annalee Newitz on io9 and I am now more receptive to the idea that this sort of internet policing could be taking place. If the Hugo Awards streaming video could be shut down automatically and irrevocably by robot censors, then what else could become censored or restricted in another unnecessary way?

I don’t think it is fair to place the burden of monitoring internet activity and restricting and penalizing its usage up to ISPs. It’s not fair to the consumer and it’s not fair to the ISPs. The ISPs will have to take on the cost of creation and upkeep of these new required systems and consumers will become limited in their internet usage and accessibility.


I want to be able to continue using the internet for legal or illegal activity, when it comes to commerce and consumption. Copyrights shouldn’t be taken as seriously and meticulously as these TPP people want them to be. They are coming in and wanting to impose their strict requirements onto people who generally want nothing of it. 


The content of this reading did not provoke me to involve myself further with it. It’s just not my thing. I will leave these political and legal matters to other people who have the mind and interest for investigating them. I’ve got my own agenda and I’m pretty busy with it, so if while I’m tending to it the internet becomes policed, that is unfortunate, but my choice is not to step in to a place where I am clearly too out of sync to make a difference. My attention has been caught though, this article was eye opening. I signed the petition that it linked me to. 





No comments:

Post a Comment