Thursday, September 27, 2012

COMM 203 - Reading 4 - WikiLeaks


Here’s what I thought I knew about WikiLeaks prior to this assignment….

1.       Bill Hader played Julian Assange on SNL
2.       Julian Assange is a French guy
3.       Julian Assange is on house arrest somewhere
4.       WikiLeaks was the work of Julian Assange and it leaked private financial information about American businesses and employees

That’s all I knew. That’s all I wanted to allow into my brain, be it accurate or not, but now I am being forced to look into it so I will at least take those 4 things listed above and find out just how accurate they are.

1.       YES, Bill Hader did indeed play Julian Assange on SNL in 2010, several times. Here’s one of those times… http://www.hulu.com/watch/202005
2.       NO, Julian Assange is Australian.
3.       NO, “Since 19 June 2012, he has been residing in the Ecuadorian embassy in London, where he has since been granted diplomatic asylum.” (Wikipedia, Julian Assange)
4.       YES, WikiLeaks was his website and it leaked that stuff but also private military information and other confidential international information.

Here’s a quote that I like from Wikipedia’s WikiLeaks page, “In an interview on The Colbert Report, Assange discussed the limit to the freedom of speech, saying, "[it is] not an ultimate freedom, however free speech is what regulates government and regulates law. That is why in the US Constitution the Bill of Rights says that Congress is to make no such law abridging the freedom of the press. It is to take the rights of the press outside the rights of the law because those rights are superior to the law because in fact they create the law. Every constitution, every bit of legislation is derived from the flow of information. Similarly every government is elected as a result of people understanding things"

I see, through some links provided for this assignment, that a lot of countries want to prosecute him and kill him and I don’t know if he has broken any laws. If he has, then I guess he should be tried, fairly. I like his philosophy as stated up above in his Colbert Report quotation. I feel like if that was all he was intending to do, then he should remain a free man. He sounds reasonable, progressive and forthright and I respect that. Let him be free and he’ll just fend for himself in the world where people idealize or demonize him. He’s made his bed. But if he needs protection, I hope that he is receiving it and will continue to receive it.

Julian Assange VS. The Pride
 

No comments:

Post a Comment