Monday, September 10, 2012

Comm 203 - Reading 2 - Video games, just for kids?

I don't play video games. I've watched various boyfriends over the years play them. When I was growing up in the 1990's and Nintendo games were simple my brother and I used to play them. He kept playing them and I eventually stopped after Golden Eye and Tomb Raider. When Grand Theft Auto came out I just liked to play it in this offensively girly way where I would just try to drive around obeying all traffic laws. My favorite video game used to be Earthbound. In elementary school they used to take us to the computer lab and on these big ass IBM computers we'd play Oregon Trail and some less memorable games.

Video games today are really incredible. I've watched one of my really young cousins, like under 10 years of age, kicking ass at one of those warfare video games. I was shocked, frankly. Kid's today, you know, it's incredible how they are so adept at navigating these intricate virtual worlds and at orchestrating and memorizing the proper operations on a controller or keyboard. I think it's great. I wish I'd see more kids playing outside like I used to but, it's fine I guess. The future must go on.

Video games now have social integration so that you can play with others whom you know or may not know; it is also used to train military personnel and medical and science students and interns. Video games are probably used for therapy with autistic people, I'd bet. I'm cool with video games growing as an industry and becoming further integrated into our daily experience... If that's something that people continue to want to explore.

However, though I don't play video games, I do play all of the Zynga iPad games. I like them because they are easy, and addictive and I can play them against people I know, or even friends who I last saw in person years ago. Plus, these games are convenient. I can pick them up where I left off and I can do that at anytime of the day or night wherever I have the WiFi access for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment