Monday, October 15, 2012

Comm 203 - Reading 5 - Hollywood and Government

I read the Argo Wired article you linked us to here. For something I'm being 150% forced to read, at least it was an interesting story. You want to know how I feel about the connection between Hollywood and the government. I don't know much about that link in the first place. I looked into it a little and found some information on the Hays Code, which reminded me of how the government is responsible for the standards of censoring creative content in the media. I haven't ever studied films, besides experimental films, so I can't say for sure, but it doesn't seem like the censors matter that much on what films end up showing. I've seen sex, drugs and violence in films to many degrees. So I guess I just haven't discovered what it is that you are referring to exactly with the connection between Hollywood and the government.

Yes, the government should be able to control the film content if they are paying for the majority of the film's production and if they want to make it 100% a military propaganda movie, go ahead and let them. I'm not familiar with how you termed this "assisting" and "advising" when it comes to film making, so I can't give you my thoughts on what I don't understand, but I'll still give you my thoughts. If the government has any part of the making of your movie, even if it's not the major financial contributor, I would guess that you would have to let them have the most creative control regardless because they have an image that they do not want conflict with. So either let them into your film making or don't. It's just a simple choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment